As the school year comes to an end, we must first celebrate the wonderful teachers in our children’s life.
When I was 6 years old, I had my first room mom, and I knew i wanted to be just like her, and become a room mom.
(My Meaning of Room mom: a mom of a student in the classroom, that coordinates gifts, and celebrations for the teacher)
Well, we enrolled RJ halfway through the year his first year in preschool and I missed that opportunity. So when he started Pre-K 3s, I jumped on the opportunity as fast as I could. Even being super pregnant, that was something I still wanted to put on my plate.
For Christmas myself and the other room mom, my friend Jenna (she’s amazing by the way), came up with a really cute idea for RJ’s teacher, we raised up a good amount of money from the other parents, and bought Mrs. Jebb several gifts. Her gifts all went along with the theme
“Something they want, something they need, something to wear, something to read”
(Photos courtesy of Jenna)
So for Teachers appreciation week, we decided on making a supply cake. We know teachers come out of pocket on a lot of items, and we waned to put together a little cake filled with things she might need for the rest of the year and for next year.
- 7 crayons
- 4 packs of little glue sticks
- 7 glue bottles
- 2 packs of markers (I bought 3, but only needed 2, so I’ll leave her with the extra)
- 6 Rubber bands (2 for each level)
- 1 mug/tumbler
- 1 big round tub of Clorox wipes.
- 1 12 inch cake stand
- 1 pack of ribbon (I used an ABC themed one purchased from Michaels Crafts and Supplies Link here)
- 3 Plastic Supermarket bag
- Glue gun
- Place the Clorox wipes on the bottom
- Grab 3 super market bags and crumple it up to use as stuffing
- Put the pack of crayons around the Clorox wipes and shove the crumpled up bags between them both to create a wider base.
- Put the 2 rubber bands around it, to secure it
- Now put all the glue bottles around the Clorox wipes, on top of the crayons.
- Secure it with 2 rubber bands
- Put the mini glue sticks in between the glue bottles, and the extra 2 can be used on the bottom, in between the crayons
- Use a hot glue gun to make a huge wad of glue underneath the tumbler( on the label of possible) to adhere the tumbler to the Clorox wipes.
- Open 2 packs of markers, and put them around the tumbler. (I put mine in rainbow order)
- Secure with rubber bands
- Wrap the ribbon around the cake at each tier, so it covers the rubber bands.
- Use hot glue gun to keep the ribbon together.
- Put gift card inside of Tumbler
- That’s it!
Some advice: this supply cake was kind of pricey, only because school supplies aren’t dirt cheap like they are in the beginning of the school year. (Crayons in August cost $.50, in May they cost $1.78 😳)
So, if this is something you’d plan on making for the next years’ Teachers appreciation, buy the supplies in advance, in August!
Anyways, let me know what you think! What are some clever gift ideas you’ve thought of?
Videos on my instagram story about the Supply cake. Follow me on instagram: AsekyBonnaire or click on the link at the bottom of this page 😘