How To Stay Motivated to Exercise -with or without Kids
It’s been a little over 8 months since I’ve delivered my sweet Joel. In these 8 months, I’ve been working hard to shed this excess baby weight. I wish I could say it just came off easy, But it hasn’t. Since April, I’ve been going to the gym about 3-4 times a week. Going to the gym consistently and eating the right things has not been easy at all. There were some days that I just wanted to say forget it, my husband loves me for me, so I’m good. But I look back, and say wow, look how far I’ve come. People often ask me, How do you do it? How do you go to the gym with three kids, and stay motivated? Well here are my 7 ways to stay motivated to exercise; hopefully they work for you too.
- Get a gym membership (with childcare if you have kids): Sounds simple, but you won’t believe the kind of gym high you get once you first initially enroll. When I first got my membership, I wanted to go every day, twice a day! and having a gym with good childcare is so important! It makes going to the gym so much easier, you cant use the “I cant workout because I have no one to watch my kids” excuse.
- Get into classes: Whether its pilates, spinning, Zumba, or yoga. Get into a class with a teacher who has that positive energy, who motivates you. Make working out fun!!
- Get a gym buddy: Speaking of positive energy, and someone to motivate you, find someone workout with. It’s always good to have someone tell you, you’re slacking, or someone to say you look good or someone to push you further than you would’ve! Thankfully I have my husband. He’s very knowledgeable when it comes to working out, and he is always pushing to do things I would’ve never done by myself, plus he’ll slap my butt and say “it’s looking good”. That alone motivates me so much. Also if you don’t have a buddy to go with, if you’re comfortable doing this, use social media as your buddy! You’ll be surprised how many people are just like you, working on the same goal, and actually care about your progress. Fitness on social media is so big right now, and people are so supportive of each other.
- Set REALISTIC goals every month: “I want to lose 50 lbs, run a marathon, and compete in a fitness and figure competition, all by next week”, not realistic right? Setting unrealistic goals, that you don’t achieve can and will de-motivate you. When I first started working out, I said “oh yeah in a month, I’m going to get swole”, well in a month, I was still a stick, not swole, and not motivated. I took a step back, and looked at where I was and decided on monthly goals for myself. Currently, my goal has nothing to do with my weight anymore, but more focused on weight training (my weak point) and the food I eat. My goal is to add an extra 10 lbs to my bench press and to eat more plant based foods. It’s a harder goal for me, but it’s 100% achievable if I set my mind to do it.
- Go Window Shopping for things you want to wear/ or things you want to do: Sounds so stupid, but it works! Nothing like looking at that cheeky swim bottoms, and saying “Next Summer, I WILL wear that!” or looking up details of a tough mudder obstacle course and saying “I will do that”. If you really want to be about it, buy that swim suit, or register yourself for that obstacle course!
- Buy Cute Workout Clothes: Just like signing up for the gym, buying new and cute workout clothes will definitely boost your confidence in the gym. Would you want to show up wearing frumpy house clothes, or your old gym clothes from high school? Treat yourself with some nice leggings, that shape your booty, or a nice top that has a built in bra! Lately, I’ve been wearing and loving the cutest stuff from Senita Athletics. There clothes are so comfy, and affordable. When I first got into the gym, I looked at a few online shops and was stunned at the prices. Workout clothes are not cheap, and then I found Senita Athletics. It was founded by two moms who were like me, 1.wanted to get back in shape after having kids and 2. Can’t accept the prices being offered to them. They then created their own line. What I love about my clothes from them, is that they have POCKETS! If you know me, you know how I am about pockets. You can never have too many pockets, and guess what? My outfit (as pictured below) has 4 pockets; 2 in the top, and 2 in the pants. I am able to keep my phone on me at all times, and not have to worry about setting it down anywhere.
- Lastly, be comfortable with where you are at, but keep your head where you want to be: Don’t be intimidated to do something in the gym because you’re ashamed of where your body is at. Don’t think “I’m too big for this spinning class, or I look terrible in a swim suit, I can’t do this water yoga class”. You need to accept where you are at, but always remember it’s just temporary. Don’t limit yourself!! One day you’ll have an amazing “before and after” picture, and you’ll look back and be so proud of yourself!
And if going to the gym just isn’t your thing, or budget doesn’t allow, there are plenty of at home workouts you can do, trails you can go jogging on, or even walking in your own neighborhood! Load the kiddos up in your Stroller, like I did with my Joovy Ultralight Graphite Stroller with rear Caboose seat and get some cardio in 💪🏽
Click here– to find a nature trail nearest to you!
Here are some pics of me wearing my Senita Athletics Workout clothes: (clicking on the affiliate links below mean nothing to you, but you’re supporting Aseky + The Boys Blog)
Use promo code “ASEKY” to save 10% on your order with Senita Athletics.