This post was originally written by me, for the Vintage Honey Shop Blog.
When I was pregnant with my first son 5 years ago, I knew I wanted to breastfeed but had no clue what I was getting myself into. I was a clueless 19 year old. I didn’t know blogs were a thing, let alone breastfeeding blogs. So I gave birth to my son and jumped into breastfeeding completely blinded. I didn’t know what I needed, what I didn’t need.
So with my next two sons after, I was 100% prepared. I knew what I really needed to have a comfortable and successful breastfeeding relationship.
I’ve gathered up a list of the top 9 things every 1st time or 10th time mom needs for breastfeeding.
Disclaimer: Contains Affiliate links, by clicking on them, it means nothing to you, but you will be supporting Aseky + The Boys Blog. Thank you!
1. A Boppy pillow// this saved my back with my 2nd and 3rd son. What I love about boppy, is that it has the right amount of stuffing in it so it properly supports your baby. The stuffing in it doesn’t go flat and I’ve been using it for 2 years. And not only is it a nursing support pillow, it can be used for tummy time, and when your little one starts sitting up.
2. A nursing bra// this particular nursing bra that I’m showing is a sleep nursing bra. In the early days of breastfeeding, you almost always have to have a nursing pad in because of leaking boobs. This bra doesn’t have an underwire, and your breasts are easily accessible for your little one. It’s so comfy, you almost forget you’re wearing a bra.
3. Coveredgoods nursing cover// If you’re not 100% Comfortable nursing in front of anyone, this thing is a must. This is great when you’re in the hospital with your baby and you have visitors but your baby is ready to nurse, you’re able to cover yourself and continue to converse with your visitors. Or for doctors appointments, or just any public trip out with the baby. What I love about it, it’s not only a nursing cover, it’s a car seat cover, an infinity scarf, and a shopping cart cover.
4. Nipple Balm// In the early weeks of breastfeeding, this balm saved me! It helps heal cracked nipples and soothes them as well. I carried this stuff everywhere with me.
5. Lansinoh Nursing Pads// Want to walk around with 2 milk stains on your shirt? No right? Nursing pads are there to catch any unexpected let downs. It saves your shirts, and bras from leaking milk.
6. Water cup// You have to stay hydrated while breastfeeding. Having a cute cup to hold your water makes drinking it so much easier. Whether it’s this super cute tumbler or the hospital cup you bring home with you, you’re going to need something portable and with a lid.
7. Vintage Honey Shop Nursing/Teething Necklace// my personal favorite! Right around my kids turn 4 months, they get very observant (aka NOSEY) and have a hard time nursing in a public setting. With my Vintage Honey Shop nursing necklace, my little ones are able to stay focused on breastfeeding. They grab onto the ring and literally just tug and stare at it while they nurse. Without it, they are turning their head, in-latching trying to look at everything else around them.
8. Medela Breastpump// it’s always good to have a little backup stash for emergencies or a night out with your significant other or some girlfriends. So having a reliable breastpump is a must!
9. Milkmaid Tea// I don’t care who you are or where you are in your breastfeeding journey. We all obsess over milk supply. So having a milk tea in your pantry whenever you feel like your supply is taking a dip is always a good idea. I love this particular brand because it taste really good, and I’ve actually seen results.