How to Satisfy Unhealthy Pregnancy Cravings the Healthy Way
Actual footage of me (20 weeks pregnant having a major cheat day ⬆)
With pregnancy comes a boat load of fun symptoms. And I say fun sarcastically. Nausea, Heartburn, Indigestion, Upset Stomach, and Constipation, I sound like a Pepto Bismol commercial. But really, some of the symptoms include cravings for some unhealthy things. For me, I crave sweets ALL the time. Give me a cake, cheese fries, chili cheese dogs, muffins, and twizzlers and I’m good. At my most recent doctors appointment, when I stepped on the scale, I gained 2 pounds since my last visit. Honestly it’s not much, but I feel like it enables me even more to eat this junk. I have this “I’m invincible, I can eat whatever I want when I want” type of attitude. Although I’m not gaining much off of it, how healthy are these sweets for my body and a baby’s growing and developing body? Not so great!
So here are some tips for Satisfying unhealthy cravings the healthy way!
- Have a cheat day: Dedicate one day of the week that you can indulge on whatever. My cheat day is Saturday because my husband and myself are both off work, and we typically end up eating out or going to Disney world. So I’m not going to limit myself to “healthy” foods while I’m out having fun!
- Pack snacks: If you’re like myself, and on the go all the time whether is preschool drop off, doctors appointments for all 30 kids, and normal day-to-day errands, make sure you pack some healthy snacks. Before I leave my house, I have a habit of packing snacks for on the go. When you have healthy snacks on hand, it’s a lot easier to say no to Wendy’s 4 for $4 deal. I love me some Wendy’s chicken nuggets, but I cant eat it everyday on the way to preschool pickup!
- Substitute your cravings with something healthy:
- Salty- Here are some of my go-to snacks when I’m craving a big bag of chips or a basket of fries at midnight
- Avocado on Toast, with a dash of lemon pepper (I’m drooling as I type this)
- Boiled Egg with a dash of salt. (I literally just got done eating this)
- Pickles: I ate sooo many pickles with my 2nd pregnancy. They’re low calories, fat-free, and high in antioxidant! But don’t over-do it because they contain a good amount of sodium.
- Olives: I can eat olives ALL DAY LONG! They contain fat, but it’s a healthy unsaturated fat!
- Popcorn: I personally eat kettle corn, because it satisfies my sweet and salty craving. I could eat an entire bag to myself (which isn’t healthy) so I make sure I pop it when the kids are up so I’m forced to share.
- Sweets- Here are my go-to snacks when I’m craving an entire cheesecake, or tres leches cake.
- Fruit- When I have a big ole’ fruit bowl with mangos, pineapples, grapes, and watermelon, I’m like “cheesecake who?”
- Yogurt (with fresh fruit on top)- It’s kind of like ice cream, or so I tell myself. lol
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich- the only downfall of PBJ it always gave me heartburn.
- Fruit Popsicles: This one is one of my favorites because I eat a popsicle every night before bed. I love the strawberry ones from Outshine!
- Nutritional Shakes: I love drinking shakes because they’re sweet and they’re filling! I am loving my nutritional shakes from Vegan Smart. Read more about it below.
More Info on Vegan Smart Nutrional Shakes:
Before I start, let me say if you’re pregnant (like myself) make sure you consult your doctor first before consuming any nutrional supplements. The ingredients of this shake were approved by mine, so that is why I drink this everyday.
But I am loving these shakes from Vegan Smart. Normally when I drink any type of nutrional shake I get extremely gassy (lactose intolerant) because of the milk base, but Vegan Smart is Vegan (duh) so whenever I mix my shakes I use either iced water or almond milk. Aside from the options I suggested above, when I’m feeling real Pinterest-y I’ll throw some strawberries, bananas, the vanilla flavored Vegan Smart nutrional shake and almond milk. So whenever I’m craving a strawberry ice cream cone, I’ll make myself a shake and it fights all those unhealthy cravings.
To save on your Vegan Smart Nutrional Shake, Click here!
Thank you Vegan Smart for Sponsoring this post! | all thoughts and opinions are 100% my own (or else I wouldn’t drink it)